Book Review: The Death Cure (The Maze Runner, #3) by James Dashner

Summary: 
Thomas knows that Wicked can't be trusted, but they say the time for lies is over, that they've collected all they can from the Trials and now must rely on the Gladers, with full memories restored, to help them with their ultimate mission. It's up to the Gladers to complete the blueprint for the cure to the Flare with a final voluntary test.

What Wicked doesn't know is that something's happened that no Trial or Variable could have foreseen. Thomas has remembered far more than they think. And he knows that he can't believe a word of what Wicked says.

The time for lies is over. But the truth is more dangerous than Thomas could ever imagine.


Will anyone survive the Death Cure?

Release Date: October 11, 2011
Age Group: Young Adult
Publisher: Delacorte Books
Source: Library
Other Books in the Series:  The Maze Runner, The Scorch Trials

Review:
I love dystopia and James Dashner's The Maze Runner trilogy is a great example of what I love best about the genre.  It is fast-paced, full of action and plot twists.  It also has an ironic element which adds a lot to the story.  The emotion is somewhat lacking, which I find to be a common problem with male narrative YA; however, it does not lessen my enjoyment of the story in this series.


With all that said, The Death Cure lacked the intensity of the first two books in the series.  Some of the events, especially the fighting, felt recycled.  There was just too much fighting and death for me.  Thomas made some dumb decisions, like how he finally got the chance to get his memories back but refused.  Didn't he complain for two whole books about his lack of memories?  I thought he would have jumped at the chance.

There were a lot of poignant moments, especially surrounding the Cranks, most notably Newt.  The ending of Newt and Thomas' friendship made me cry.  I felt so bad for Newt!

What I liked best about The Death Cure was the ironic ending.  It made me smile.  I thought it was neat the way Dashner handled the ending, leaving things up to your own interpretation.  Usually I hate that sort of thing but I kind of liked that Thomas never really does know the truth about what is going on.

Overall, I would recommend The Maze Runner trilogy.  It was a great dystopian adventure, even if I did find the last book to be not quite as good as the first two.



1 comment:

Word verification stinks--- but spammers are worse. Thank you for your patience!